Last week, Erica from The Handmade Wardrobe nominated me for the seamstress tag which is a questionnaire for sewists started by Ms. Jenny Homemaker.
1) Who are you? My name is Sylvia. I recently completed my MBA (I’m actually graduating this week) and love to sew as a hobby. I currently live on Vancouver Island but have also lived in the United States and grew up in Ghana.
2) When & why did you start sewing? I took up sewing seriously after I completed by bachelor’s degree in 2014. There were so many uncertainties in my life at that point and I needed an outlet to release some stress. Although I had attempted some DIY projects in college, I definitely took it way more seriously during this time.
3) What is your favorite or proudest make? My McCalls 6891 shirtdress (pictured above) is my proudest make of all time. It fit me so perfectly! It was a challenge for when I made it because it had buttons and a collar which I was not very good at making at that point. My cascading coat is however, my favorite make of all time. It’s gorgeous and so easy to make.
4) What is your most disastrous make? I have too many disastrous makes to pick just one! I’ve made clothes that didn’t fit at all or didn’t fit right. I’ve made things that looked down right hideous. I prefer not to take pictures of my disastrous makes.
5) Where is your favorite place to go fabric shopping? Fabricland. It’s pretty much the only fabric store in my town so I really have no choice. It has a huge variety of fabrics so I find pretty much everything I need. I’m scared to try buying fabrics online (I love to feel fabrics when buying) but i’d love to try that one day.
6) What is your most used pattern? Burda 6721 semi-fitted shift dress. I have made this pattern with knit and woven fabrics, I’ve hacked the pattern into a top, among others.
7) Your most dreaded sewing task is cutting/tracing out patterns and cutting out fabric for a project. Ugh!! Once that is done, I’m in a happy zone!
8) And your favorite sewing task? Hand stitching buttons on a clothing item. It’s so relaxing.
9) What is your favorite ‘sewing entertainment’? Binge watching anything on Netflix or catching up with my TV shows while sewing. Basically, watching anything interesting will do it for me.
10) Printed or PDF? As much as I print out a lot of PDFs, I do prefer good old printed patterns.
11) What sewing machine do you use? I use a Brother SQ9130. It’s a computerized sewing & quilting machine and is perfect for my current basic/intermediate sewing needs.
12) Do you have any other hobbies?I love to read! I don’t read as much anymore (thanks to sewing) but it does feel good to just kick back and relax with a great book.
Enjoy the rest of the week everyone!
The Ravel Out