It’s been a while since I used African print to make any projects. Well, that changes now because my new addition to my closet happens to be an African print dress I made using Butterick 5982. I paired my new handmade dress with my handmade cascading coat (Butterick 6244) and got this Power Outfit.
This dress pattern was one of the first patterns I bought when I decided to dive into sewing. I usually only wear one piece of handmade clothing so I felt amazing when I could pair two handmade clothing in the same outfit!
Since I have reviews on both patterns from previous posts, I will not be writing another. Here are the reviews about the Butterick dress and coat.
I’m planning more projects with African print fabrics and I’m so excited to work with such fun fabrics!
I’m excited to present to you my latest pattern testing outfit, The Mitchell Dress by Paddle boat Patterns. The pattern comes with a dress and jumpsuit version. How cool is that?
I used a gorgeous red crinkled rayon fabric and paired the final look with a greenish necklace since the holidays are approaching fast. It’s only right 🙂 This is definitely my pattern of the year for three reasons: Ease, Simplicity, Variety. Look at that decline too. So gorgeous!
If you are looking for an easy sew with a stylish result, this might be the pattern for you. The dress had only seven steps and it was so easy to put together I had to read the entire instructions again to make sure I didn’t miss anything.
It’s an interesting shaped dress, with kimono style sleeves and a wrap style. This gets rid of having to sew sleeves in or put a zipper/buttons in which can be intimidating especially for beginner sewers.
I started off my week with a new handmade polka dot peplum top. And the best part? The pattern I used is free and so easy which is perfect for a beginner sewer. Who doesn’t love free?! It’s actually a summer top but I layered it and plan to rock it during these cold seasons.
The Peplum pattern can be found here. The instructions were very clear and straightforward. I loved working with it. Of course I made some changes to this pattern because that is what I do. This simple pattern didn’t need much changes though.
So what did I do differently? I used bias binding instead of facing for the neck and arm holes. I also cut both pieces on a fold instead of the front on a fold and the 2 pieces for the back. (I still sewed the back together just like the instructions stated. It’s a lovely pattern, I’d recommend you give it a try.
I made one cute baby dress and then I made five more. I can’t seem to stop now that I have caught the ‘baby/kids clothes making’ bug.
They are so cute and making them in African print makes them even more precious and unique. I decided to list a couple on my Etsy shop and they’re already sold out so I know I’m not the only one who loves these these gorgeous vibrant print dresses.
The first few I made were with Cotton and Steel 100% cotton fabrcis but once I switched to 100% African print fabrics, there was no turning back. These cute buttons (above) are from a small business called Arrow Mountain.
I’m planning to make a few more in more sizes and prints for my Etsy shop. I’m thinking of making them in both African print and non-African prints but haven’t made any decisions yet.
All these pictured dresses are for 0-3 months little cuties. However, I’ll make other sizes up to 4 or 5T available.
Do you have any suggestions for me? I’ll be happy to hear them 🙂
Today, the Connie dress pattern is helping me soak the last bits of summer while channeling my inner Barbie. Of course in the process of making this simple yet glamorous dress, I had the opportunity to work with boning for the first time. Another first this year 🙂
I honestly fell in love with this pattern even before I printed it out. The PDF pattern is only about 16 pages which means less cutting for me. The instructions were clear and straightforward, and there’s a video sew-a-along with this pattern. How great is that?
When I put this dress on, I felt like a doll! It’s so cute and perfect for so many occasions. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a fancy, fun project or a dress for an upcoming event. I love it!
And the year of firsts continues! This time, I made my first maxi shirt dress and I must say it was not as easy as I thought it would be. Who decides to make a button down dress, with a back pleated self-lined yoke, mandarin collar, elastic waist, side pockets, and a narrow hem on three first attempt? (this girl!)
This process was definitely a labor of love for me. It took me a while mainly because I can only sew at night now but for someone who enjoys quick projects, this was tedious in a good way.
The wind was ever so in my favor for this photoshoot! I love how it made the dress look and I hope you do too.
When I found this pattern, I was so pumped. I mean who doesn’t like free stuff? It was incredibly easy to make (but I personally had to make adjustments due to my waist and hip difference). All in all, it turned out great and would recommend it to beginners who want to try their hands at making skirts. The name says it all, it’s pretty and simple.
This week, I’m channeling my inner Justin Timberlake and bring sexy back with the help of McCalls pattern 6751. This pattern is literally the easiest project with the most chic look and has the best variations. It takes less than an hour to complete once you get the hang of it. I have made three tops using Version A and B so far. I’ll definitely be trying the other versions as well.
I love that the style of this top screams summer! Of course the choice of fabric helps. I feel I can make this look like a fall outfit with the right fabric. I’ll definitely be trying this theory out during fall.